View complete fotopage
View complete fotopage
|Tuesday, 2-Jan-2007 21:21
||Email | Share | Bookmark
CREAM BISCUITS & NAAN KHATAAY
Last Saturday morning, went out with hubby to buy vegetables and bread. Next to the bakery, there's a grocery shop. And since it's been quite a while since I last visited that shop, I told hubby, let's just go and have a peek! I just wanted a can of baked bean actually but still I took a basket. For what eh? Hmm...just in case! Hahaha....as we walked along the aisle, my eyes caught sight of something VERY FAMILIAR! I went closer...Yes...indeed my eyes are still good and they never deceived me! I saw the Malaysia Halaal Logo and Hwa Tai biscuit! Was I excited or what! That's what you get for not being home for the past 1 1/2 years! ....cam jakun le plak haaa..... And as we walked along we saw quite a number of Malaysia products on the shelves. But the price OMG....potong leher wa cakap luuu! Hubby took a bottle of jam and a tin of Hwa Tai assorted biscuit. Look at the price and if you want to convert it to Malaysian Ringgit, roughly divide by 30....yeah....don't faint, that's the reality we have to face here! Anyway, it's nice that we got to taste Malaysian stuffs again eventhough we have not been home for quite a while.
Speaking of biscuits, well, last Sunday morning, I tried baking two cookies CREAM BISCUITS and NAAN KHATAAY. I've printed out the Cream Biscuits recipe from a website quite sometimes back. Unfortunately I can't remember which site that was and what attracted me to this recipe is because one of the ingredients is Nastle cream. Anyway, this biscuit is so so to me, but Fatin likes it. Maybe I went wrong somewhere or what but it wasn't crunchy. Fatin said it tasted more like scones. For those who are as curious as I am and wanted to try and bake this cookie yourself, here's the recipe.
Cooking conversion : http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking
Makes 48 biscuits
150 g butter (at room temperature)
30 g sugar
80 g Nestle Cream
250 g plain flour ~ sifted
Sugar ~ to sprinkle
Glace cherries for decoration (optional)
1. In a bowl, cream butter, cream and sugar till well blended.
2. Add flour and mix well till a soft dough is formed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
4. Roll out dough into 5mm thick on a floured surface.
5. Cut into desired shapes.
6. Sprinkle on top with sugar and decorate with cherry halves (optional).
7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until done but not brown.
8. Cool and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
1. I didn't decorate with cherries.
2. I wrapped the dough with cling film and chill in the fridge.
3. I sprinkle my cookies with 4 types of sugar : Vanilla sugar, Chocolate Mint Sugar, Orange Cinnamon Sugar and Chocolate Coffee Sugar. I bought this sugar in South Africa. But since I sprinkled it just a bit because the cookies are just a cute size, it doesn't give any difference in the taste.
The other cookie that I made is Naan Khataay. I think that's an Indian name which I don't really know what's the meaning. I got this recipe from a book that I borrowed from Dolly. Syahmi and I liked this cookie because it's crunchy and sort of melt in the mouth. But clever me, I think I've overbaked it a bit because it turned out to be slightly brown, but nevertheless, the taste remains lovely! For those who'd like to try baking them yourself, this is the recipe.
1 cup Ghee
3/4 cup castor sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon elaichi (cardamon powder) (I didn't put this in)
2 tablespoons semolina/sugee
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
enough flour to make dough
Almonds for decoration (I didn't use almonds, instead I used sugar deco)
1. Beat ghee and sugar together till light and fluffy.
2. Add egg yolk and beat again.
3. Add all other ingredients except the flour and mix well.
4. Add in enough flour to make a soft dough.
5. Shape into small round balls. Place whole almond in the center of each ball.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 15 - 20 minutes.
7. Allow to cool on baking tray before removing.
|MamaFaMi mumbled to herself.....
Ooooooooo how I love this foggy weather. But hmm...why am I not feeling cold? Am I sick? I don't think I am....hmmm... let's just forget it and enjoy this lovely weather while it last......feel like taking a nap but then...Miss Salton wants me to date her...let me choose, nap or date.......hmmm......ok I'll date Miss Salton! Here I come honeyyyy...wait for me....
|1. wmdhafidz@abgbotak>> Hi Hafidz...tu la, dah dua bulan tak balik 'kampung' jengok mama eh...asik jengok girlpren je eh...hehe...acah je. Biasalah kehidupan student, sokmoh busy study. Baguslah tu....Pasal soalan Hafidz tu kan, yang benarnya, bab-bab microwave ni, mama memang tak pandai langsung. Dulu masa ada microwave, dok panaskan lauk je. La ni, microwave pun dah 'pencen sementara' aka rosak dah dua tahun dah. So mama tak dapatlah nak experiment apa-apa untuk Hafidz. Anyway, you can visit fp Sis Muni at this page backwards, sebab dia banyak tunjuk resipi yang dimasak di dalam microwave. Bukan takat ayam je, buat kek pun boleh!
p/s : Mama nak pos bini kat Hafidz, takut tak menepati citarasa! Wakakaka...kang terhantar yang gelap kang, Hafidz reject pulak! Dah membazir duit pos!
p/p/s : Aisehmen, salah tembaklah...mama ingatkan *bling bling* tu kenduri kahwin!
2. yangmazni>> Cari punya cari tu, ada ke terlanding kat mana-mana? Oooo tiket tu new year card eh...mama dah agak pun. Bagusnya cikgu-cikgu diorang siap hantar kad...anak-anak muridnya ada balas tak?
3. Ajzie>> Salam Ajzie mama sambut mesra. Alhamdulillah gembira mama mendapat tahu yang at least fp mama ni, ada gak gunanya. Terima kasih banyak-banyak...
4. Sabrina>> Demi nakkan gak barang Malaysia, belilah juga...tutup sebelah mata! Ala biskut tu, saja suka suka je Sab. Lagipun tengah sejuk ni, kalau budak-budak ke mak bapak budak lapor, ada gak benda nak dikunyah..tak yahlah mama asik nak dok dapur je!
5. Zie @ Mummy Umar & Zaky>> Hello Zie. Ala mama tak expert mana pun. Just ada passion for cooking and adventurous enough to try out new recipes, out of curiosity! Nanti bila ada kesempatan, Zie cubalah mana-mana yang terberkenan ye...
6. mamahouse>> Happy New Year buat mamahouse. Ramai juga yang beritahu mama pasal masaalah internet di Malaysia. Di rumah mama ni pulak, line off and on pasal hujan dan kadang-kadang kabus.
7. Ida email@example.com>> Ha ah, janji dapat makan dahlah...
8. mommy_d&d>> Package South Africa tu, considered okaylah harga dia. Tapi penat sketlah nanti sebab your schedule quite tight. But then, the flights to Joburg normally pukul 1 pagi. After 10 hours flight, plus the time difference, you'll reach Joburg International Airport around 5.00 am Joburg time. Ini kalau ikut Malaysia Airline la. Kalau airlines lain, mama tak tahu pulak. Anyway, kalau betul-betul interested, why not. Like my kids, diorang ni memang dah biasa dilasakkan since baby lagi, so insyaAllah ok je. Kalau mama tinggal di Joburg, bolehlah mommy and family lepak-lepak lama sikit di Joburg kan. Chewa...berangan jek!
9. Layman>> Hehehe...cari jangan tak cari.....
10. nic>> Tak pe, Nic tengok gambar pas tu dok bayangkan ok!
11. Nabialishad>> Waalaikumussalam Nabia. Selamat Tahun Baru buat Nabia sekeluarga dan moga kita semua berada di dalam peliharaan Allah sepanjang masa. Pasal sms tu, no hal, memang telah ku agak begitu kisahnya....
12. Safadz>> Hi Safadz..thanks to dad-- for being my frequent visitor...at least I know, there'll be someone who'll come and jengok jengok me here.... Bubye....
13. za>> Ha ah, resipi yang baru mama cuba....
14. ~Che Sakura~>> Esh, tak payahlah stay up Che Sakura. Take your own sweet time ler. Tidur tu mesti cukup supaya kesihatan terjaga...
15. kuchai>> Specially dedicated to Kuchai Ada-ada je la Kuchai ni. Kalau le boleh terus cakap Hindu, ramai kot nanti try buat biskut tu!
16. emly>> Hmm...mama tak pernah pulak tengok citer ni...
17. Sal>> Ee seronoknya dah ada orang offer pi Nairobi!
18. mar firstname.lastname@example.org>> Tu la, bila ada berlambak depan mata, memang tak heran pun. Bila dah tak de tu, tercari-carilah...hehehe...
19. aunidayini>> Got the quotes from one of the email and pasted it onto one of the photos I snapped during the hols. Alamak, will you manage ke without your maid? Bila dia nak balik tu? Lamanya dia holiday! So sorry to hear about your notes. Lesson to learn, next time, keep them in a plastic waterproof container.
20. hanieliza>> Yang best tu bukan pasal dapat makan, tapi perasaan bangga tengok barangan Malaysia terjual di sini tu. Ooo patutlah hari-hari kita ketuk pintu akak, masih entry yang sama je....
21. Luv Amy>> Psst...bukan resipi mama tau, resipi orang...mama jadi orang tengah, 'makan komisen' (aka pahala harapnya!) je...hehehe. Baguslah tu Amy, sambil Amy test power, sambil tu bersedekah kat orang...ilmu dapat, pahala pun dapat kan?!
22. Mademoiselle Ayu>> Cream biscuits tu, not so la pada mama. Dia tak crunchy...rasa dia lembut macam scones je la Ayu.....tak yah try pun tak pe la...mama saja je upload...
23. Jeff>> Hihihi....my favourite phrase dah muncul kembali....be still my tummy. Betul tu bro...kalau pekena apa pun dengan kopi o panas memang kaw kaw punya!