View complete fotopage
View complete fotopage
|Friday, 1-Dec-2006 21:21
||Email | Share | Bookmark
Something to ponder....
A Masjid goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to Masjid . "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 Lectures. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the Imams are wasting theirs by giving Lectures at all."
This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher. "I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this: They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to Mosque for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!"
When you are DOWN to nothing.... Allah is UP to something! Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible! Thank Allah for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment! Ameen....
For lunch, made Chicken Foldover (and chicken wrap??) as requested by Fatin. When the kids reached home from school, I was busy 'assembling' the Chicken Foldover and Syahmi came with his plate. He must be very hungry I think. Then I asked him, can I 'borrow' your Chicken Foldover to snap some photos to put in my page? Syahmi answered,"Ma, can you use kakak's one, because I can't wait to eat mine!" Hahaha...my poor starving son!
Actually, after the previous two 'unsuccessful' experiments last Tuesday, I was kinda phobia to try new stuff until I am back to my ol' self again. Alhamdulillah I am now, and early this morning, I tried something that I've been wanting to try ever since I set eyes on the photo and the recipe in a South African Magazine, Woman's Value, September 2006 Issue. It's called Savory Empanadas. It's basically a shortcrust pastry with savory filling in it. If you wish to try, here's the recipe.....
1 quantity shortcrust pastry
|Sift 500ml cake flour with 2 ml salt. Rub 190g cubed cold butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Mix one egg yolk, 20ml ice-cold water and 5ml lemon juice, then mix into the dry ingredients to form a stiff dough.
Knead until the dough comes together and becomes smooth. Wrap in clingwrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
** Make cheese pastry by blending 250ml grated Cheddar cheese, 250ml cake flour and 125ml butter in a food processor until it comes together. Remove from the food processor, knead together, then refrigerate until ready to use.
1 quantity filling (choose from the recipes below)
|Cheese and Onion : Saute one chopped onion in 15 ml butter. Once the onion is translucent, add 15ml cake flour and mix well, then stir in 125ml milk. Keep stirring until well thickened. Mix in 250ml grated Cheddar cheese and season to taste.
Chicken and red pepper pesto : Saute two finely sliced chicken breasts in 15 ml olive until cooked. Add 125ml red pepper pesto. Season to taste.
Sweet-chilli mince : Heat 15ml olive oil and saute a chopped onion and two cloves of chopped garlic. Add 300g mince and cook until it browns. Add 150ml sweet -chilli sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add 30ml chopped parsley and season to taste
1 large egg, lightly beaten ~ for brushing
Mind you, the measurement is in ml and not typing error!
1. Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 3 mm and cut out rounds using a large cookie cutter. Place a spoonful of filling onto each circle.
2. Dampen the edges with a little water and fold the pastry over to form a half-moon. Press the edges well to seal.
3. Place the empanadas on a greased baking tray and brush with beaten egg.
4. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
How I made my Empanadas :
For the shortcrust pastry : 2 cups cake flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 140 g cubed cold butter, 1 egg yolk, 4 teaspoons ice-cold water and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
For the filling : I just mashed the sardine leftovers I had for lunch yesterday
|1. yusoff+yana=azhad>> Adei...tak tahu pulak wujudnya karipap Malawi...hehehehe....Sib baik baru dangdut Yana...kalau dah rock, parah tu!
2. Sabrina>> Memang dia lapar masa tu kot sebab sekali hadap, dua foldover licin terus! Fatin punya pun chicken foldover gak. Yang terjadi Chicken Wrap tu sebenarnya sebab dah terkantoi sket roti tu...dah tergaring, tak leh nak fold, so mama lipat dua, buat buatlah panggil wrap...hehehe...nak cover line weiiii....
3. rossya>> Lebih kuranglah tu kak....Sebab kita buat gambar Chix foldover tu sampai 3, sebab nak usha sesaper yang berkenaan tu la suruh buat...wakakakaka.....
4. hanieliza>> Ala akak ni, rajin kita je yang akak nampak, rajin akak tu, lagilah tahap gear 6! Ha ah kak, 'karipap' ni tak berminyak..sodap.
5. anna>> He was I guess, sebab hari tu pun mendung je dari pagi sampai tengahari....manalah perut tak keroncong. Itupun, bila mama check bekal dia, habis licin licau dah...masih lagi lapar tu!
6. kakmOn>> Ye la kakmOn...benda yang sama, tapi nama je dia boh glamer sket...wakakakaka....kakmOn ni, janganlah sebut 'lapo'...contagious la!
7. nazorro77 firstname.lastname@example.org>> Tu la kan, macam dia tak dapat Nur Allah kan? Harus bersihkan lagi jiwa dia.....
8. Enoka email@example.com>> Hi Enoka, long time no c u here...only in school and at the field under our colorful tent selling burgers! Hahaha...anyway, it's nice to be able to hang out with you, though just under the tent! And congratulations, you FINALLY get to stay in your so wanted house! Enjoy it when you come back from Sri Lanka, and speaking of that, I wanna come along!!!! Miss Sri Lanka as well, miss Malaysia the most! Gosh...to many choices...hahaha....Have a safe trip home, enjoy your early holidays and have fun. Visit me whenever you can ya...who knows you might find some 'news' here.......
9. hellikonia>> That's why I want to share the 'masjid goer' story with everyone! Very true eh....mama pun masa nak menaip tu, ntah berapa kali stop, sebab confuse gak masa menaip tu...hehehe.....
10. Mademoiselle Ayu>> Ala, Ayu slim melim, leh le makan coklat, brownies, ice cream pelbagai...mama ni kang, kalau overdose kan, kot tak muat nak masuk pintu rumah...
11. Rafi firstname.lastname@example.org>> Can't agree more!
12. mommy_d&d>> Tu la, mommy busy semacam mendera si 'baby'. Tapi baguslah tu, daddy tengok pun tak ralat prezenkan mommy kan kan kan daddy kan...nanti leh prezen mommy COACH pulak! Psst...mommy, ni mama dah tolong jack daddy, kalau dapat, 10% upah aa! Mama dah tengok dah entry mommy....terima kasihlah banyak-banyak dedicate the entry to me...terharu gitu...Mama ni tak pandai mana pun...so kita sama-samalah belajar ye...mama salah, nanti mommy tolong tunjukkan pulak....Psst...that empanadas tak yah guna mixer la...guna tangan je...hamboi hamboi hamboi...sejak ada mixer dah malas guna tangan ker? Wakakaka.....
13. cupi email@example.com>> Maknanya normal la tu..hehehe....Geram tol tengok swarovski tu!
14. Syikin firstname.lastname@example.org>> Waalaikumussalam. Tu la, artikel tu bagus untuk difikirkan....
15. nazorro77 email@example.com>> Tahniah dah berjaya! Good luck with your two...layannnnn....
16. tonsulaiman>>Empanadas tu, mama potong dengan scone cutter, tu yang bergigi tu. Mama hanya lipat dua dan glue kan guna air je. Puff pastry mama ni agak rapuh, tu yang tak boleh nak kelim. Mama bakar lebih kurang 20 minit.
17. Sweet Frosting>> Roti tu mama buat sendiri, tak tahulah apa nama sebab Tohrina tak bagi nama...hehehe...resipinya di sini
18. zack>> Aduhai Zack, mama ni dah setahun lebih tak balik Malaysia, sumer pun dah lupa la. Lagipun, kitorang kalau gi KFC, suka makan ayam dan apple pie dia je...lain-lain tu, ntah eh, cam tak teruja nak try...tapi who knows, balik lagi sekali ni, nak pulun semua...wakkakaka...Nanti Zack buatlah sendiri tortilla tu ye, mesti cun punya...
19. kuzi>> Kalau mama jadi anak murid Kuzi, mesti mama blur punya....rasa turkey tu macam turkey...memanglah pun! Wakakaka!
20. ida_natrah>> Hok aloh kesiannya...nanti Ida pergi makan ye...
21. Shawkat's Frozen Food firstname.lastname@example.org>> All the best in your business....
22. Sweet Frosting 4 Cupcake Lovers email@example.com>> Nama lupa tak pe Shida, janji makan tak lupa...hihihi....
23. stROZze firstname.lastname@example.org>> Lebih kuranglah, tapi dibakar bukan digoreng...
24. NTV7>> Laa apa yang bestnya...biasa je....baguslah usaha kalian memberi idea di mana boleh makan-makan....terima kasih..
25. kuchai>> Kalau mama bukak kedai, best ni suruh Kuchai datang....semuanya dia kata best...hehehe....
26. Kak Leen email@example.com>> Sabor Lin, pantang dulu sampai dah baik betul. Nanti dah sihat, bolehlah makan dan masak macam-macam ye!